How to Apply for Passport Renewal
A passport’s validity in India is 10 years. Renewal of the passport must be done before or shortly after its 10-year validity expires if the person wishes to continue using its privileges. Frequently, passports are accepted as evidence of identity, residence, and age. Because it is used so often during one’s life, a passport is absolutely necessary.
Renewal of Passport Online Registration
The initial step in an online passport renewal application is to create a passport account on Passport Seva’s official website. The steps listed below can be used to create a passport account for a person:
- Step 1: Sign up for a Passport Seva account before renewing your passport.
- Step 2: If you have already registered with the website, log in by clicking the “Existing User Login” link.
- Step 3: If you are not already a user, you must register by clicking “New User Register Now.”
- Step 4: Based on your address, choose the passport agency that is the closest to you.
- Step 5: Enter your basic information, such as name and birthdate, and then create a login ID and password.
- Step 6: A link for activation will be sent to you through email.
- Step 7: Use the email’s link to activate the account.
- Step 8: After logging into your passport account, click “Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue Passport.”.
Completing the application for a new passport
Step 1: Fill out the online form following the creation of an account.
Step 2: Fill out the form after clicking the “Apply for New Passport/Reissue of Passport” link.
Step 3: Once the form is properly filled out, click “Validate” to save it.
Step 4: After filling out the form, upload it and press “Submit.” Verify all of the information you’ve entered before submitting the form to prevent mistakes.
Step 5: Reserve a time slot that works for you.
Step 6: Either online or offline, complete the payment.
Step 7: Choose to print the application receipt.
How to Schedule an Appointment for Passport Renewal
Following are the steps to set up a passport renewal appointment:
Step 1: Open the official website of Passport Seva.
Step 2: Sign in to your account.
Step 3: From the “View Saved and Submitted Application” menu, select the “Pay and Schedule Appointment” link.
Step 4: Pay the necessary cost after making the appointment. Credit cards, debit cards, SBI challans, and net banking are accepted forms of payment.
Step 5: Select “Print Application Receipt.” This receipt contains the appointment number and the application reference number.
How to Monitor Your Passport Renewal Status
Following are the methods to check on the status of your passport renewal:
Step 1: Go to the Passport Seva official website.
Step 2: Select “Track Application Status” on the webpage.
Step 3: Select the GEP, PCC, IC, or passport application type.
Step 4: Enter your date of birth and passport file number.
Step 5: Select “Track Status” from the menu. Your passport renewal status will be shown on the screen.
Documents Needed to Renew a Passport
A person must submit additional paperwork together with the application form when applying to renew their passport. The Passport Seva Kendra website has a “Document Advisor” for passport renewal. Depending on the kind of passport being renewed (regular/tatkaal) and the applicant’s age (child/adult), different documentation is required. The following general documents apply to the majority of applications:
- Original old Passport.
- Passport copies of the first two and last two pages attested by the passport holder.
- It is necessary to provide a copy of the self-attested Emigration Check Required (ECR)/Non-ECR page.
- Copy that has been self-attested and includes any observations made by the passport issuing authority.
- Copy of the validity extension page for the passport with a short validity that has been self-attested, if applicable (SVP).
- Short-term passports were issued due to lack of the factors listed above
Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The process of renewing a passport is straightforward for SVP. All that is required is for the person to go to the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and submit an application for the renewal of a short-validity passport (SVP).
Short Validity Passports (SVP) are given out in situations such the ones listed below:
- Exam candidates taking the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and other tests.
- NRIs (non-resident Indians) who want to take brief trips to India
- Passport not delivered due to loss in transit
- applicants with open criminal investigations
How long will my passport be valid when I renew it?
Assistant Passport Officer/RPO will determine the passport’s validity. Ten years is the maximum validity period offered.
Do I need to renew my passport through a passport agent?
You do not require a passport agency to renew your passport because the process is open and transparent. But if the applicant is illiterate, they can get assistance from a third party.
Do I need to provide the originals of my documents?
You are not need to supply the original documents. You must bring your original documents to the passport office on the day of your appointment for verification, but you can also submit copies of the needed documents that you have self-attested.