How to Apply for a Driving License in Delhi
Many people find learning to drive an exhilarating experience, especially those enthusiastic about it. But to operate a motor vehicle, you must be an Indian citizen and have a valid driver’s license. The Government of India requires all drivers to possess a driving license before they are permitted to operate a car on public highways.
As accidents involving people driving without a license have increased over time, the Delhi government has implemented stringent sanctions and punishments for those who do so. Additionally, if you operate a motor vehicle without a valid driver’s license, you will not be able to file an insurance claim in the event of an accident. Here is a guide on obtaining a driving license in Delhi to assist you quickly and easily.
Types of licenses for drivers in Delhi
Delhi issues driving licenses based on the following types of vehicles:
- All motorized vehicles, including scooters and mopeds, fall under the category of the motorcycle without gear.
- All other motorized vehicles with gear fall under the category of motorcycles.
- Hatchbacks, sedans, and other light motor vehicles fall under this group.
- Transport Vehicles: This group consists of trucks, vans, buses, and so forth.
- Unauthorized Carriage
- Road Roller.
- Vehicles that fit a specific description.
Delhi’s requirements for obtaining a driving license
A potential applicant must fulfill the requirements listed below in order to be eligible to apply for a driving license in Delhi.
- The candidate must be at least 18 years old.
- A learner’s permit is required before applying for a driver’s license.
- After 30 days and within 180 days of the learner’s license’s issue, the applicant must apply for a driver’s license.
- Candidates must be familiar with all applicable traffic laws and regulations.
Documents Needed in Delhi to Get a Driving License
Here is a list of the documents you’ll need to apply for a driving license in Delhi:
- Form No. 4, the application for a driving license, requires passport-size photos.
- A 400 rupee application fee
- Forms 5, 14, and 15 of the driving certificate apply to cargo vehicles.
Address Verification: Any of the following documents
- Voter’s ID and ration card
- A certified copy of the six-month-old Voter’s List Passport LIC Policy bond (This has to be submitted along with the latest receipt of the policy).
Age Verification: Any of the following papers
- Educational diploma
- Birth registration
- If you work for the state, the federal government, or a municipal organization, an attested copy of your passport certificate will be sent to you by your employer.
How to submit an online driving license application in Delhi?
The steps listed below must be followed to submit an online driving license application in Delhi:
- Visit www.delhi.gov.in, the government of Delhi’s website for transportation.
- Complete the application and upload all required paperwork online.
- An application number will then be given to you, which you must present when taking the test.
- Both scheduling and paying for the application fees can be done online.
- After that, you must go to the RTO, where you submitted your DL application.
- A motor vehicle inspector will be present during your driving license exam to decide whether or not to award you a DL.
- You will need to bring your car to the exam.
- Your biometrics will be saved, and photographs will be taken if you pass the test.
- Your registered address will receive a postal delivery of your driver’s license. A select few RTOs in Delhi also permit you to pick up your driver’s license the day you take the exam.
How may a person in Delhi apply for a driving license offline?
The procedure to apply for a driving license in Delhi is as follows:
- Get form 4 by going to the RTO in your jurisdiction.
- Complete the form and send it in with the necessary paperwork.
- Schedule a time for your driving test. You will need to bring your car to the exam.
- If you pass the driving test, you will have your fingerprints and photo taken.
- If the RTO office has it in stock, your driver’s license will be mailed to your registered address. If not, you can alternatively pick it up that day from the RTO office.
How can I renew my driving license in Delhi?
Once granted, the permanent license remains in effect for 20 years or until the applicant becomes 50, whichever comes first. A grace period of 30 days is provided for the renewal of a permanent DL after it has expired. A driver’s license applicant can go to the neighborhood zonal office to renew their license. Documents needed in Delhi to renew a driver’s license
- Form 9 for applications
- Two passport-sized photocopies.
- Authentic driver’s license.
- Copy of the documents proving your age and address that you have self-attested.
- 200 rupee application fee.
- A medical certificate in Form 1A must be supplied if the candidate is older than 40.